Built as the London headquarters of Shell-Mex and BP in 1932, Eighty Strand (or Shell Mex House as it was then known) stands proud on the northern bank of the Thames. The 60,000m2, Grade-II listed Art Deco building is currently undergoing a major refurbishment, adapting to the changing needs of London’s modern work-life demands.
Collaborating closely with client Strandbrook and PDP architects, the structural and drainage design has been completed and the project is now on site, delivering category-A level refurbishment to four of the building’s 12 floors.
As movement patterns evolved over the last century, the building’s entrance shifted from Embankment to the Strand. A reimagining of the building’s main entrance was necessary, and results in complex engineering design to create a glazed pavilion. Formed from lightweight steelwork, the structure elegantly maximises daylight into the reception.